I have been working on tearing out the lathe and plaster on the ceiling of the basement. What a mess I’m creating, although I can now see the bones of the building. There are some massive wooden beams up above, some look like 12 x 2s in sections. They are still 4′ above my head under the stage area, this is where I am starting. I am looking to take a bunch of weight off of the floor above.
I have finished sanding and painting a few windows, they have been put back in place and look totally different than when I started. They are now a chocolate brown instead of the standard white that old buildings tended to be. I decided to paint the inside the same brown because it is easier than keeping track of which color for inside or outside view. I think I will paint the trim around the windows a lighter brown or tan on the inside of the basement for a brighter look.
I really like the old glass that is on these windows as they are textured and thick. They let in plenty of light, but are not see through. Great design for the basement windows. I broke a few while trying to take them out and the building came without some in tacked. I do have some extra glass standing around upstairs that may need cutting, but I have accomplished this before and I believe I can do it again. Hopefully I have enough to complete all of the windows.
Some of the frames need fixing or replacing in some areas as they are all at ground level. The grass (weeds) and rain water has damaged a lot of them. I will try and do this while I’m working on the windows themselves. Taking these windows apart has been an adventure as to the mechanical works of them. I have done plenty of windows in the past with the weights and sashes, but this is the first time taking the whole window frame apart. I am up for this challenge and will do my best to complete before the cold weather sets in.
The building is old so the style is a separate hanging storm window or screen that is attached by clips. I have gotten new clips through a company on line some time ago and will get these refinished after the main windows are complete.
I hope to remember to get some pics by next week as to keep a record of my work for you and me.
Thanks for reading this week, Kris
We are reaching the end of July 2022 and I would like to reflect on all I have accomplished so far this year. I helps motivate me on what is still on my list to get done before winter and cold weather sets in.
I have been working on my new/old building formally called Garfield Hall, which used to be an old school, town hall and what ever else was needed in the good old days. There is a complete stage on the back half of the place with a curtain rail that is still in tacked. It contains very old wiring referred to as knob and tube and snakeskin wiring. It also has a cistern on the outside that had an old pump attached for water. I still have both of these, but the pump is very rusty and is missing so many pieces I don’t know if it works at all. I will keep it just for nostalgia of the former life style.
There are underground springs that run under the building that become active after plenty of thaw in the spring or rain throughout the year. I haven’t seen any use for my sump pump for over a year now.
The yard is old grass that are weeds and not anything good to brag about. I am constantly cutting down volunteer bushes that arise close to the building that shouldn’t be. I started last year to clean this up by digging around and cleaning out brush. It is a very demanding job and I decided that I am old enough to rent/purchase some heavy equipment to help out with all the yard work.
I went to work on my building yesterday with my steamer to help me clean up. The place is such a mess in the basement as it has been unoccupied for years. I started steaming around the windows, hoping to get rid of a lot of the cob webs and critters hanging out. Good news is I successfully killed some of the living critters that crawled in and took residence. Today I plan on fogging the place to easily evict the rest of those creepy tenants.
I am starting in the basement for remodeling first as it will be the easiest to heat in the winter. After the fogging and eviction will come waterproof painting and insulating with foam board. Then building walls along the perimeter, wiring, plumbing and whatever else that is needed.
I hope to get a basement septic put in so I can have a drain down there for a kitchen and bath. I plan on living in the basement once all the previous tenants are gone and the place is presentable enough.
Stay tuned and thanks for reading.
Today I was working on my new building, took out a few basement windows to strip, sand and repaint. I am going to paint the outside of the windows a dark brown and the inside a white color. I have put a lot of thought in the building colors and have come up with a really deep red with dark brown trim.
I am going to make my living courters in the basement of the building as it will be much easier to heat. There is a lot of cleaning out as it has all my molds from ceramics. When it is done clearing out and cleaning walls and floors, I will be putting up interior walls against the cement walls and start my home remodeling.
I am going to work as often as possible on my new building and hope to have is livable by spring of next year.
The profits of everything I sell thru my website will be to help refinish this building. I want it to be a wedding reception place for all around the area.
Thanks for reading…
Until next time.